Thursday, March 19, 2009

Jolie Brise: Adventure Available






















Happy!





A couple of days ago I was trying to fix a blog listing here because the RSS wasn't active. In the process I lost my entire blogroll, and while rebuilding it I came across some new sources. One I found is The Tall Ships Blog. Their latest post was of interest. The famed Jolie Brise, a pilot cutter built in Le Havre in 1913, winner of the inaugural 1925 Fastnet, many other races, and currently doing duty as a sail training vessel for the Dauntsey School Sailing Club, has a couple of berths open for this summers Tall Ships Atlantic Challenge. Two legs are open, a couple of berths from Vigo, Spain to Tenerife in the Canaries are open to anyone over the age of 16, and the leg across the Atlantic from Tenerife to Bermuda has a single berth open to a trainee aged 16 to 25. Could be the adventure of a lifetime, a formative experience, or the start of a career. Go sail some history!
 While I'm not generally a huge fan of tall ships, the pilot cutters have always spoken to me. They seem to bridge the gap between tall ships and small craft. If you feel the same way, take a look here and here.

No comments: